The Coweta County Sheriff’s Office provides assistance on a call-for-service basis, providing primary law enforcement services to all portions of the county not served by a municipal police department. If you have an emergency, dial 911. If you need non-emergency law enforcement service, call the Sheriff’s Office at (770) 253-1502. During normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, excluding holidays), the receptionist will direct your call; at other times, the automated system will connect you to Dispatch. A Deputy Sheriff will be dispatched to assist you. Please call rather than going to the Sheriff’s Office. Except for the Jail, Sheriff’s Office facilities are open to the public only during normal business hours. Crimes must be reported and prosecuted in the county in which they were committed.
To contact the Jail, call (770) 253-1664. Jail facilities are open seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
To start a criminal investigation, an incident should be reported to the Sheriff’s Office by contacting a Deputy Sheriff (see Patrol, above). If the incident meets criteria, it will be assigned to an Investigator. Generally, misdemeanor incidents and incidents without leads are not assigned to an Investigator. Investigators may be contacted about their assigned cases through Reception.
Civil Unit, Transport Unit, and Warrant Unit may be contacted at (770) 253-1502, during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, excluding holidays). Court Security Unit may be contacted at (770) 683-0150.
Meetings with Sheriff , Command Staff, and Supervisors are available by appointment. Situations or problems are usually best-handled by the appropriate unit supervisor. Please allow our staff to refer you to the appropriate person for your situation.
The Sheriff’s Office offers other law enforcement services including Sex Offender Tracking & Registry, Law Enforcement Canine Training, Mantracker Public Safety Training, Project Lifesaver, and Project SAFE.
The Sheriff’s Office offers community programs including Citizens' Sheriff’s Academy, Firearms Fundamentals, Keeping Your Home Safe, Ladies Self Defense, Neighborhood Watch, PRIDE, and STOPPED.
Accounts Payable, Infirmary, Inmate Accounts, Personnel, Reception, and Records may be contacted at (770) 253-1502, during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, excluding holidays).
All open records requests for Coweta County Sheriff's Office records should be directed to the Records Custodian.
Mail or Hand-delivery: Coweta County Sheriff's Office; 560 Greison Trail; Newnan, GA 30263
Attn: Open records clerk
- The Sheriff's Office cooperates with the Coweta County School System to provide School Resource Officers in middle and high schools, and Project S.A.F.E. instruction in elementary schools.
- The Sheriff's Office tracks convicted sex offenders in Coweta County and maintains the Coweta Sex Offender Registry with OffenderWatch.
- The Sheriff's Office provides electronic monitoring with Project Lifesaver for persons with diminished capabilities, such as Alzheimer’s patients.
- The Sheriff's Office maintains a Traffic Enforcement Unit begun with HEAT Officers from a Governor's Office of Highway Safety grant.
- The Sheriff's Office and other local agencies partner to host annual Mantracker Public Safety Training.
- The Sheriff's Office provides Canine Training for law enforcement agencies in the West Georgia area in association with the Alabama Canine Law Enforcement Officers Training Center.