State law reference - Responsible Dog Ownership Law - O.C.G.A. 4-8-20 through 4-8-33
Article VII (Summarized)
Dangerous dog means any dog that, according to the records of an appropriate authority:
(1) Inflicts a severe injury on a human being without provocation on public or private property at any time after March 31, 1989; or
(2) Aggressively bites, attacks, or endangers the safety of humans without provocation after the dog has been classified as a potentially dangerous dog and after the owner has been notified of such classification. Potentially dangerous dog means any dug that without provocation, bites a human being on public or private property at any time after March 31, 1989. An animal control officer shall notify the dog's owner of such classification in writing giving the circumstances that formed the officers basis for classification. Within 15 days of the date on the notice the owner shall have the right to request a hearing on the animal control officer's determination that the dog is classified as dangerous or potentially dangerous before the Animal Control Board.
The determination of the animal shall become effective on the day that the owner would have had to request a hearing should one not be requested. When a request for a hearing is requested before the Animal Control Board, a date for hearing shall be set within thirty days. The board shall notify the dog owner in writing of its determination on the matter within 10 days after the hearing.
If your dog is classified as a dangerous dog the following must be done:
A certificate of registration issued to the owner of the dog when
sufficient evidence is shown:
- A proper enclosure sufficient to Confine the dog.
- The posting on the premise clearly visible signs warning that there
is a potentially dangerous dog located on the premises.
- An insurance policy in the amount of $15,000,00 issued by a surety company authorized to do business in the State of Georgia, payable to any person or persons injured by a dangerous dog.
Annual Fee for Potentially Dangerous or Dangerous Dogs.
The annual fee for the certificate of registration shall be $500.00 and
renewed on an annual basis.